Poa Annua Conversion
The best way to rid your course of Poa annua using a PGR is to stay on the Cutless Program throughout the growing season. Cutless® selectively suppresses the growth of Poa annua to a greater degree than desirable perennial turfgrass, such as creeping bentgrass, shifting the competitive growth advantage away from Poa annua and towards creeping bentgrass.
Over time creeping bentgrass is able to laterally grow, or "creep," into the suppressed Poa annua stand, resulting in a consistent and gradual conversion from Poa annua to creeping bentgrass with minimal disruption to playability.
A programmed attack is the best strategy to defeat Poa annua
Beginning in the spring, following resumption of active growth, make programmed applications of Cutless very 2 to 4 weeks through the summer and into the fall, ending 4 weeks prior to expected winter dormancy or inactive growth.
Continue the Cutless Program throughout the summer, even if some slight discoloration of Poa annua exists. During extremely hot weather, Poa annua may go off color and some dimpling or heavy growth regulation may happen. If so, simply delay your next application for one week or until the regulation has subsided. Due to the fact that Poa annua becomes stressed during periods of high temperatures, the plant becomes weakened, giving Cutless that much more impact. The Cutless Program should not interfere with normal maintenance practices; however, during hot, stressful weather, users should avoid applying Cutless within a week or two of applying growth regulation DMI fungicides.
Stay the course
Discontinuing the Cutless Program may result in the recurrence of Poa annua. Continuing with Cutless applications, even when Poa annua populations have been reduced to a manageable level, will prevent Poa annua from making a comeback. Poa annua is a very opportunistic weed that, if not managed, will rapidly encroach into divots, poorly drained areas, heavy traffic areas and eventually re-infest itself.
The Cutless Poa annua suppression program
Added benefits to a Cutless Poa annua suppression program
The cutless program can save you money by eliminating the following:
1.) Additional growth regulator treatments
- Cutless is an excellent growth regulator and will reduce clipping volume and mowing frequency
2.) Fall pre-emergence application for germinating Poa annua
- Research has proven that Cutless applied at labeled rates can provide up to 80% control of fall germinating Poa annua seedlings
3.) Summer fungicides applications targeting diseases that impact stressed Poa annua
- By reducing Poa annua populations, management practices can be shifted to maintain the growth of creeping bentgrass rather than Poa annua
4.) Reduce the need for Poa annua seedhead control in the spring
- Although Cutless will not control Poa annua seedheads, it will reduce Poa annua populations to more manageable levels. Therefore, Poa annua seedhead control should not be necessary after the first year or two of Cutless program applications.
5.) Suppression of Dollar Spot
- The active ingredient in Cutless is from the pyrimidine class of chemistry, which is structurally similar to pyrimidine fungicides that provide Dollar Spot control. Programmed applications of Cutless for turf growth suppression or Poa annua conversion have also been shown to suppress Dollar Spot incidence in creeping bentgrass fairways, greens and tees. Research results have shown Cutless applications at labeled rates and application intervals can significantly reduce Dollar Spot incidence and populations when compared to untreated control plots. Cutless should not be used to replace labeled fungicides for the control of Dollar Spot; rather programmed used of Cutless may result in longer or improved control of Dollar Spot in conjunction with conventional fungicides, or delays in the appearance of Dollar Spot disease, thus leading to the potential for an overall reduction in annual fungicide use.
Cutless does more than control Poa annua
- Reduces shoot growth. Cutless is an excellent PGR, which can eliminate one to two mowings per week on fairways.
- Improves turfgrass quality. An application of Cutless increases turfgrass density, improves wear resistance and enhances turf color, which leads to improved overall turfgrass quality.
- Has no impact on lateral recovery of bentgrass. Cutless applications will not impact bentgrass recovery due to mechanical damage from divots, ball marks or aerification. Research has shown that Cutless has less impact on creeping bentgrass lateral growth when compared to Trimmit® 2SC and other formulations of paclobutrazol.
- Will not over-regulate Kentucky bluegrass surrounds. Continued use of Trimmit 2SC or other formulations of paclobutrazol will over-regulate and weaken stands of Kentucky bluegrass surrounds. Use Cutless in confidence when over-spraying into Kentucky bluegrass surrounds and rough.