ACS Distance Education's 100-hour course "Turf Grasses" just released, and it's aimed at current greenskeepers, turf suppliers, landscapers, groundskeepers, and students. Its goal is to provide "a comprehensive understanding of grass physiology so that the student can observer subtle differences between grasses, being able to identify different cultivars and species much quicker."
The course features ten lessons,
- Introduction - Biology, terminology and classification of turf grasses.
- Fescues - The “Festuca rubra complex”, “Festuca ovina complex” and others
- Bentgrasses - Creeping, Colonial, Velvet, Redtop, Highland and Idaho Bentgrass
- Ryegrasses - Perennial, Italian, Annual Ryegrass etc.
- Bluegrasses - Kentucky, Texas, Rough, Canada, Upland and other bluegrass species including winter grass.
- Couchgrasses -Bermuda, South African, Hybrid, Queensland Blue and Salt Water couches.
- Buffalo and Zoysia Grasses - Stenotaphrum, Buchloe, Bouteloua and Zoysia.
- Other Warm Condition Grasses -Centipedegrass, Kikuyu, Paspalums, Bahia grass and others
- Other Cool Condition Grasses -Hairgrasses, Timothy, Brome, Phalaris, Wheatgrass, Crested Dogtail, etc
- Turf grass Mixes -Growing two or more varieties together in the same turf.
Enrollment is open and on-going. The course is self-paced with tutor support available. For the full press release, click here or on the link available below.